dear rory,
today a battle raged somewhere deep inside of me. I didn’t hear legions of soldiers marching in formation, stomping their iron-shod feet, shouting war chants with blood-lust in their mighty voices, brutally clanging their weapons, or savagely awaiting the trumpets to sound and the war to begin. instead, I heard a much more civilized battle taking place. a battle that involved two professors in tweed suits sitting down over a cup of tea (maybe they were speaking with British accents? don’t judge.) and discussing life.
meet professor heart and professor mind.
professor mind is notorious for being selfish. he enjoys going to pity-parties and holds many an audience captive with his pitiful descriptions of his pitiful life. despite his flaws, he does wish to be better than he is. he knows that his disposition is not right, but he has been selfish for so long, that he often forgets he is striving to become something better.
professor heart usually fights for what is just and right. he knows that he was bought with a price, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, he works at becoming a new creation. although he occasionally has his moments of weakness, he tries to seek after wisdom and to correct professor mind in a way that is kind, but firm.
these two professors usually meet somewhere inside of me. at a little out-door café. or so I imagine.
during their civilized battle today, I overheard a discussion of theirs.
their dialogue went something like this:
“ah, professor heart! I’m so glad that you could make it. please, do take a seat, and let me ring for the tea to be brought out. it’s such a dreadfully hot day, and I feel it all the worse, for I spent half the morning cutting the grass. or rather, I spent half the morning thinking about cutting the grass and dreading the task of actually doing it. it is such a bother that *I* should be the one to do it. why can’t somebody else do it instead? doesn’t everyone know I have better things to do than to get sweaty and dirty cutting a lawn? I’m sure I should have been resting my poor head. I woke up with such a dreadful headache, you know. oh! here’s the tea!”
“how long did you say that your mother has left to live? I know that she has been sick for quite some time now.”
“my dear professor heart! wherever did you hear such a thing as that? my mother is in perfect health, thank goodness! she has never been better, in fact. although, *I* have been feeling slightly down lately. I tell you that I am *quite* overworked. most people don’t have any idea how much I do for my family. why, just yesterday I had to…”
“and when did you say the bank was going to seize your house from you?”
“did I say that, professor heart? good heavens! the rumors you have been hearing! no, no, the bank is not going to seize our house! we are managing tolerably well, I assure you. things have been a bit tight… did I mention that we are going to have to sell some of our furniture? I was quite put out when mother told me so. to think that a respectable family like us should have to sell some of our furniture. it’s not fair at all, to be sure. why, if only we had more money, the things I would buy! First of all, I should like to get…”
“how do you find the soup kitchen at the shelter for the needy? I hear that they actually make quite a decent lentil stew.”
“the soup kitchen, professor heart?”
“yes, and how is your factory job going? the one that works you from dawn to dusk?”
“uhmm…professor heart. if I could but interject for a moment…?”
“and your father… it is such a shame that he is not a hard working man. I hear he visits the pubs so frequently that…”
“professor heart! none of these things are true! we are quite fine, believe me. I have good health, a home, food, and hard-working parents. I do not have to work from dawn until dusk, I assure you. I only have a few measly chores around the house, and mother and father work so hard that these tasks of mine are comparatively nothing. we are doing quite splendidly, thank you. have I made myself perfectly clear?”
“yes, quite clear, professor mind. forgive me for asking. now, what were you saying before I interrupted?”
“I… uhmm… well…”
needless to say, professor mind went home feeling very ashamed of himself. he resolved not to complain anymore and decided to be even more helpful than he had been of late.
professor heart went home with a smile on his face, quietly singing a ditty he had learned as a child: “do everything without complaining…so that you may become blameless and pure children of God.”
and I went in from mowing the lawn… *cough cough*… feeling especially grateful for everything that God has given me and wishing that I had spent less time that morning complaining and more time giving Him my thanks.
hopefully professor mind has learned his lesson. but I’m guessing he’ll soon forget it and have to be reminded again. good thing the café is open twenty-four seven.
your strange, imaginative friend,
muffin
I believe I am grinning ear to ear.
ReplyDelete"Good thing the cafe is open twenty-four seven..."
Rock on, girl. I love this stuff. And boy, do I relate. That cafe is a franchise, and one location resides between my shoulders.
I'm awfully glad we have His promise that we shall live to see these cafes burned forever, naught but glorious good to remain. =)
"I wake up every day with a simple choice to make... give back my life in thankfulness, or with complaining take." ~Kelly Crawford
ReplyDeleteThis blog is at the top of my list of favorites. Every post is amazing, well-written and worthwhile.
You just made my day feel like more than I thought it was.
ReplyDeleteI agree compleatly with Bree.
Thank you Muffin! Keep writing!
<3 Tash <3