dearest rory,
today I lost a sibling.
I don’t know what gender it was. I hadn’t ever met him/her. I had only known of his/her existence for twelve days.
twelve short amazing days.
in those twelve days, I had grown to love this sibling. I had imagined what this sibling would be like. I had picked out my favorite girl's names and boy's names. I had tried to picture life with another sticky, smiley, sunny person running around the house. I had told my friends this good news. they were excited to meet this sibling. I was excited to meet my sibling.
I had written out that I loved this sibling up on the blackboard in the kitchen. I had written it along with the names of the rest of my family members.
I don’t think I can bear to ever clean that blackboard again. but then, I can’t bear to look at it either.
why? why would God take this baby away from us? why would He raise our hopes only to tear them down again?
I asked Him these questions. I yelled these questions at Him.
somehow I don’t think He minded me yelling. somehow, I think He looked at me and cried with me. I felt Him reach out and hold me in His arms. He told me to cry. He told me He was right there and that He wouldn’t let me go.
the night before we found out that the baby was lost to us, I had picked up my dad’s Bible. it fell open to the book of Job. for a moment, I considered turning to one of the books I liked better. psalms, proverbs, ephesians, or philippians sounded nice.
but I started reading the first chapter of Job. and then the second. in two short chapters, Job had lost his possessions, his wealth, and his ten children. he didn’t know why. he didn’t know why God would allow him to culminate such riches and blessings only to take them away.
he was desperately sad. he was desperately confused as to why this had happened to him.
his wife told him to curse God and die.
Job didn’t listen to his wife. he looked at the destruction around him and said, “the Lord gives. the Lord takes away. blessed be the name of the Lord.”
that verse jumped out at me. it screamed at me. I think God was yelling it at me. and I heard. and the next day, I clutched my Bible and reread those verses with a broken heart.
the Lord gives and the Lord takes away.
why? why would God take this baby away from us? why would He raise our hopes only to tear them down again?
I don’t know. I only know that He has a purpose for everything.
and even when I don’t understand those purposes… blessed be the name of the Lord.
love you so much,
muffin
p.s. [thank you to everyone who has/is/and will be praying.]
p.p.s. love this song:
"... when the darkness closes in, still I will say..."
ReplyDeleteI wish I had words.
"... and though my heart is torn..."
I wish there was anything I could do, besides just love you and pray and ache with you.
"... my heart will choose to say..."
Blessed be His name, indeed.
May He be well pleased with the glory you bring by clinging to Him, despite the grief, despite the pain, despite the tears.
i <3 you.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us..."
"For I am persuaded that nothing shall separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
"And I'll be by your side wherever you fall
ReplyDeleteIn the dead of night whenever you call
And please don't fight these hands that are holding you
My hands are holding you"
When have words ever felt so useless and hearts felt so helpless, than at times like these.
Love you guys so much. Keeping you in prayer throughout each day.
"One tear in the dropping rain
One voice in a sea of pain
Could the Maker of the stars
Hear the sound of my breaking heart?
One life is all I am
Right now I can barely stand
If You're everything You say You are
Would You come close and hold my heart?
I've been so afraid, afraid to close my eyes
So much can slip away before I say goodbye
But if there's no other way
I'm done asking why
'Cause I'm on my knees
Begging You to turn to me
I'm on my knees
Father, will You run to me?"