firstly I ought to warn you that there is nothing of importance in this post. seekers of wisdom or profound sayings, go no further. consider yourself duly warned.
so. I basically love this:
[hear it out & let it grow on you.] How have I not heard them before?!
note:: please do not tell me you've known about them since you were 4. you would simply be joining the masses of humanity who all seem to have been born with mumford&sons playing in the background, while I frolicked around in musical ignorance.
second note:: I have heard OF them before. but for the longest time their name simply swirled through the dim, cobweb-y recesses of my brain along with similarly unknown artists such as [don't judge]
selena gomez
fallout boy
florence + the machine
eminem
flogging molly
I know nothing about their music [although maybe I have unconsciously heard songs of theirs without realizing who they were]. these are all names that are stuck in my head, surfacing every time I hear someone mention them. perhaps someday I'll look them up on youtube simply so I can say, "oh him? yes, of course; such a talented vocalist," or "she's rather too eclectic for my taste, though I'm hardly one to judge," as the need arises. we'll see.
And after the storm,
I run & run as the rains come
And I look up... I look up...
So yesterday I had the privilege of tickling two pairs of little feet, cleaning two little faces, & being a policeman chasing two little "bad guys" all afternoon. oh yes. I make a fearsome policeman, you'd better believe it. However, I will not vouch for my ability to construct jails, as my prisoners tended to escape under cover of giggles.
I like little people. in all their sticky, banana-mushing, toy-throwing glory. granted, it's tiring to keep up with them: their ability to wreck everything within reach never ceases to amaze me.
But at the end of the day there's nothing like tucking a small person into bed with a favorite blankie, humming Amazing Grace until breathing steadies & imagination takes flight.
[side note:: it's funny that you wrote about memories in your last letter. they've been on my mind lately, too. memories fascinate me... moments imprinted on grey matter, postcards to be read&reread for years after the postmark. touching one brings an overwhelming flood of emotion: happy or sad or jolly or miserable or the rush of butterflies against your ribs. never wearing out with frequent use; dimming only through disuse. what a concept.]
Alrighty. Gotta run. My song has ended & my toast is merrily burning in the toaster. [not sure which is the greater calamity.]
Always,
rory
I like the song. (first time I've heard of them)
ReplyDeleteI love this thought: "dimming only through disuse."
That's why I always feel like I have to journal. Once I do, the memories are always there. Safe.
i had never heard that song before either! (in fact, i hadn't even heard of the group!)but it was good.
ReplyDeletei bet you are an awesome babysitter. come babysit me sometime soon? ;)
good thoughts on memories. so true.
Hear ye, hear ye! Let the world know I have the world's cutest sister! (don't bother arguing.)
ReplyDelete