25.9.12

can I see an I.D.?

dear rory,

who am I? and what am I doing here?

oh, I know who I have been. I have been everything that has led up to this moment in my history...

I was the firstborn. I was the big sister. I was born and raised in Small-suburb, Illinois. I grew up in a home where having an abundance of teasing and laughter was more important than being rich. at the age of five, I was already dreaming that I would become a missionary or a teacher in some far away country. I was the girl who couldn't help but laugh at the other girls and their silly crushes and pointless drama at public school. and for that reason, I was the girl who wasn't very "cool". I was the second-grader who wrote out a card for my teacher explaining how she could be saved from her sins and go to heaven. I was the third-grader who showed up to school crying so hard, my mom had to come pick me up on multiple occasions. I was the fourth grader who was thrilled to be home-schooled. and then not so thrilled when I realized my friends thought home-schoolers were weird. I was the one who wasn't excited about leaving the church I had grown up in. and then I was the one who was just as, if not more, excited than anyone. I was the girl who learned so much and made so many new friends and re-met so many old friends that I thought I would burst from happiness. I was the girl who experienced so many sparkling memories and endless adventures that I realized what a good, sheltered life God had given me. and in these last two years, I was the girl who lost a sibling, who spent many weeks sick in bed and then in the hospital, who began to doubt God's plan, who was reminded of how amazing our Creator is, who graduated after thirteen years of school, who has another sister on the way, who became closer to one best friend and fell in love with the other, who missed out on one missions trip but then experienced a different one that melted my heart.

that is my story. it's not very thrilling. but it's made me who I am.

and that reminds me...

who am I? and what am I doing here?

it's so easy to forget.

***

intimidating-looking stranger: "oh, you've graduated high-school? where are you going to college?"

me: "umm... well... umm..."

*why can't I just answer the question?*

me: "umm... well... I'm not going to college this year. I'm staying home and helping my family out and waiting on the Lord to see what he wants me to do."

intimidating-looking stranger staring as though I've just slapped them in the face: "Really?!"

me: "psshhh. no. I'm just kidding. I'm gonna get my business degree........... and then I'm actually planning on running away to join the circus and become an elephant rider. maybe if I'm lucky, I'll even meet a nice lion tamer with a mustache the size of Texas. we can get married, have fifty children, and raise them all to become acrobats. after that, we can retire and open a home for abused lemurs. and then we can spend the remainder of our lives teaching them how to make gourmet ratatouille."

***

it really doesn't matter what I make up as long as I say that I'm going to go to college. as long as I am going to college, I have an identity. and as long as I have an identity, my life is going well.

don't get me wrong. I am not against college in the slightest way. I just don't feel like God is calling me to college right now. and it is sad that so many people think that college is what ultimately defines a person.

but that reminds me... if I am not called to be at school right now...

who am I? and what am I doing here?

***

as a kid I read about missionaries with wide-eyes.

they risk their lives. they experience more wild adventures than anyone else. they live in the deepest jungles and on the remotest islands and share the Gospel. they help spiritually and physically sick people who would die otherwise. and then they come home and share all their awesome stories.

how much cooler could a person get?

I wanted to be one of them.

but as I grew, I realized that that dream was just *slightly* (okay, maybe *mostly*) self-centered. I mean, the idea of being a missionary is a wonderful, selfless thing. but I was kind of going in on it for the fame and glory and adventure side.


and about that time, I learned an important lesson: we can be missionaries right here in our own neighborhood. there are a lot of broken people all around us right now.

so..... BAM! I was gonna feed the hungry. I was gonna clothe the naked. I was gonna stop abortion. I was going to phone the President and give him a few ideas I had to help stop poverty. I was gonna adopt a million children. I was gonna give clean water to kids in Africa. I was gonna knit scarves and blankets until my fingers bled and then go downtown and use my bloody stump arms to distribute my work. I was gonna win the lottery and donate every last dime. I was gonna work in a soup kitchen. I was gonna be superwoman.


and this time, I was going to do it with selfless motives. my heart was ready. I didn't even care if people knew what I did. I just had to do it.

and I had to do it all.

and that's where all the juice in my energizer machine suddenly spluttered. how on earth was I supposed to do it ALL?


 ***
rewind two years from today.

it was dark and I watched the headlights play on the street ahead of us. your mom was driving. we had just finished watching "Slumdog Millionaire" and my heart was still hurting as I thought about what a terrible life kids have in the slums of India. it's filthy dirty. it's empty and lonely. they're sold into sex-trafficking if they're girls. they become part of Mafia-type gangs if they're boys.

quietly I said, "I wish there was some way I could help everyone at once."


your mom smiled at me through the rear-view mirror. "dear," she said, "God calls different people to help in different ways. if you get depressed over not being able to help everyone, you are going to feel as though the whole world is on your shoulders, and it's not. it's on God's shoulders. you only have to do what God is calling you to do."

"I know," I sighed. "I just feel like there are so many options. and all I know is, I don't want to just live my life for myself. I want to help others."

then your mom said something that shook me:

"be what He has called you to be TODAY, and leave the rest to Him. He knows what He is doing."


***

right now, I am looking at that conversation in my journal. as soon as I got home that night two years ago, I wrote it all down so that I would never forget her words.

but I have amnesia.

so once again, I have been asking myself...

who am I? what am I doing here?

and by "here" I mean "now".

I know what I should be doing. I know who I should be.

I am a daughter of the King and I should be striving to be more like my Father every single minute of every single day.

okay, but time out.

is it really too much to ask that I be something AWESOMELY INCREDIBLE in the world's eyes AND be more like Christ? I mean... come on.


Colossians 3:1 "If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."

okay... well, can I at least have a detailed road-map of my entire life? that would make spending these slower, harder days of trying to be more like Christ and waiting for His direction easier.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight."

so... who am I?
Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me."

what am I doing here?

I am learning (very slowly and painfully) to say good-bye to the old self. I am learning that who I truly am is not what I have done or wanted to become or what I still want to do. who I am isn't what the world says or doesn't say I am. my identity is in Christ alone. my calling is to be more like Him.

obviously, I still have a personality. the things I like to do and eat, and even my hopes and dreams make me unique. just like yours make you unique. as one friend put it "I am unique, just like everyone else."

and being unique is good...we're not called to be robots. but as Christians, we should be striving to be more like God. and we should find our identity in Him. because the things of this world will pass away. yes, we can enjoy them and I believe God wants us to. but ultimately, the success we have or don't have will disappear. the money we make will be spent. the degrees we earn will rot, the houses we build will fall, and the fame we gather will be forgotten.

even though it may sound childish, I want to be like Jesus.

and the last time I checked, being like Jesus was a lot harder than going to the jungle or going to college or even saving the world.

it's not something easy. it's not something that I always *like* telling other people. sometimes, I would rather have a list of accomplishments and goals and successes.

but then I ask myself...

who am I without my Savior? what would I do without Him?

and that's when I truly have an identity crisis.

love,
muffin

ps- please forgive me for rambling. and please don't think I am being preachy. I still have so much more to learn. and re-learn. and re-learn. and re-learn. and re-learn...



5 comments:

  1. "please don't think I am being preachy."

    What's wrong with being preachy? :)

    About college, I think even secular people are beginning to question whether it's worth it. I read a Newsweek article about this, which might comfort you if you ultimately decide not to go: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/09/09/megan-mcardle-on-the-coming-burst-of-the-college-bubble.html

    I like what rory's mom said. Remember that Jesus even rewards those who give a little child a cup of water! You can't get much more insignificant than that.

    About finding one's identity in God, I like these verses:

    Gen 15:1: God is Abram's reward. Not the promised land, not Abram's descendants, but God himself.
    Jer 9:23-24: Let the one who boasts, boasts that he knows God. See also 2 Cor 10:17.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful, beautiful, entertaining, thought-provoking post! You've done it again, Nay :-P

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finally read this, Nay. (I've been absent from the computer for a while.)

    And how, how, how I relate.

    I totally remember that day that Mom said that to you. I remember listening.

    And childish as it may be, I'm right there with you: I want to be like Jesus.

    I like your story, I like your best friends, I like you.

    God is good.

    ~Laura out~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the next post... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the long of it:
    I have a blog. Four actually... The each serve a different purpose (a photo blog, a quote blog, a "normal" blog, and a blog similar to this one). I don't update any of them as often as I'd like. Each time I go to write or post something, I feel like it's never "quite right." It's too short, too long, not funny enough, not serious enough, etc. But then there's also the feeling of "Why put all this work into something that nobody's going to see?" I have a hard time understanding why people would want to read about my everyday happenstances (of course then I remember the reason that I enjoy reading other people's everyday happenstances is because they're different from my happenstances). Why would they look at my photos when there are other photographers out there way better than me (like Landon Peterson - I'm a huge fan of his photography style and skills). But then every 8 or 10 posts someone will comment and I'll realize that there ARE people reading my blog (even if it is only 2-3) and for whatever reason, they DO enjoy it. But sometimes I forget that there are people reading my blogs and so months will pass without me posting anything. So this is me leaving a comment on your blog so that you know you do have readers and they do love reading your blog.

    And here's the short of it:
    I'm eagerly looking forward to whenever y'all decide to post another entry on your blog.

    P.S.
    This wasn't supposed to be as long and rambling as it ended up being... It was supposed to be encouraging, but then I think I started going for entertaining, and somehow I think I ended up with preachy... Anyway, love you and love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete