22.7.11

postcard from a storm

dear muffin,

I love words. Words with meaning. Words with stories. Words that are poetry in and of themselves.

epic, adjective
heroic; majestic; impressively great.

1589, from L. epicus,  from Gk. epikos,  from epos:  "word, story, poem." 

These days, the word 'epic' gets thrown around to mean just about anything: the movie we saw over the weekend, our glorious tumble down six flights of stairs, a half-price milkshake. But when you really consider the meaning of this word, it has power. I love it.

Last night's lightning storm was truly epic, in an awe-inspiring, terrible, beautiful sort of way. I stood outside with my sister and three other friends, silent as the sky pelted us with invisible rain. And as we stared up into the blackness, waiting, we were rewarded with an incredible show of lightning. Branches of brilliance carving up the sky, connecting the clouds and bringing the horizon into sharp contrast. Truly, we have an awesome Creator.

Have I ever mentioned that I love storms?! =]

always,
rory

No comments:

Post a Comment