dear muffin,
finals = done, done, DONE! oh, the jollity.
[is that a word?]
it's been a good sort of evening. a finished-with-finals, pick-up-eggnog-with-the-brother, watch-Bambi-at-midnight sort of evening. a misty evening that turns Christmas lights into bokeh. a happy evening that smells of cinnamon soap & old pine needles.
earlier, my mom unearthed the old boxes labeled "CHRISTMAS" [in handwriting harking from years ago] & began the jolly process of bedecking the house. the bannisters have henceforth been wrapped in garlands & every table graced with grade-school art projects featuring snowmen. some of these art projects are mildly disturbing, but they add to the atmosphere nonetheless. =]
Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love the spices, the warmth, the joy, the memories. snowflakes & traditions can be found in every corner [as can numerous lumpy packages, carefully guarded by sneaky family members]. I love the incredulous story of the Lord of Creation being born in a stable. born to save a bunch of miserable, self-ruined little humans who killed Him for His effort. an effort that bought me unto a purpose; a purpose that gives my life meaning.
and on top of it all, there is eggnog & snowballs & caroling & striped socks.
so much happiness for one little heart to hold. share it with me?
but the season has its sobering moments as well. while caroling, a family comes to the door with their tears hidden behind crumpled tissues. while driving, I pass a procession of black trench coats, huddled against the rain, headed up by six aligned figures with green jackets & white-gloved hands held in a last salute.
makes me feel guilty for pulling into the driveway, hanging up my cares in the coat closet, & settling in to enjoy a cozy evening at home.
why am I not more grateful?
***
goals for winter break [well, a few of them, anyway]:
::make gingerbread men
::work on dinner skills [because nothing shouts 'Christmas cheer' like a burnt casserole. not that I ever burn anything, of course.]
::knit an outrageous orange scarf
::inflict said scarf upon the world
::spend time
::enjoy the little moments
::be grateful
[among many, many others.]
and now: goodnight. turn on some mumford & sons and listen to the wind as it sings around the windows. know that somewhere over here, I am doing the same.
:: Let the Winter come. It is the only path to Spring. The house is battered with cold, but inside there is a warmth that cannot & will not die. [n.d. wilson, notes from the tilt-a-whirl]
always,
rory
*like*
ReplyDelete=)
ReplyDeleteI like your plans. And your quotes. :)
The day is dark and dreary. But if it was thinking of succeeding in drowning my Christmas spirit, it was wrong… well, sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHappy you are done! Happy you can relax and knit outrageous scarves! (Note: I think there should be more orange scarves in the world, so carry on.)
I love this Christmas season too. I realize that more. And I love the whole month of anticipation and preparation. Just like the prophecies that Dad reads for devotions; of the people eagerly waiting and longing for the Messiah to come.
All this holiday cheer
Heaven knows where it goes, but it returns every year
And though this winter does nothing but storm
The joy in my heart is ablaze and it’s keeping me warm
~Bree
The day is dark and dreary. But if it was thinking of succeeding in drowning my Christmas spirit, it was wrong.
ReplyDeleteHappy you are done! Happy you can relax and knit outrageous scarves! (Note: I think there should be more orange scarves in the world, so carry on.)
I love this Christmas season too. I realize that more. And I love the whole month of anticipation and preparation. Just like the prophecies that Dad reads for devotions; of the people eagerly waiting and longing for the Messiah to come.
“All this holiday cheer
Heaven knows where it goes, but it returns every year
And though this winter does nothing but storm
The joy in my heart is ablaze and it’s keeping me warm”
~Bree
Laurelyn: well, I like YOU.
ReplyDeleteKD: I'm rather fond of those quotes, myself. they're from this great book I read once... I should show you sometime. ;)
Bree: orange scarves are under-appreciated. watch out, or I might make you start wearing one, too. =] yep, the anticipation is at the core of it all. not empty technicolor plastic joy, but the peace that comes from knowing the Object of the anticipation. *happy sigh*