and so the year runs away in yesterdays many... [tolkien]
dear muffin,
today I was reheating wild rice for lunch. and it hit me.
curled up on a chair, wearing comfy jeans & wrapped in a cardigan, I realized--
it's fall.
just like that.
no warning; no rewind button. no denial.
yipes.
I knew that school had started, sure. and a chill has crept back into the morning hours. but that's normal for september. right?
september. that month I associate with school & apple picking &... fall.
hold it right there. shouldn't I have to sign a consent-form or something? measure my progress and make sure I'm ready to move on? I guess not. because here we are.
summer, 2011 has been the best summer I can remember. the summers of my early childhood already seem like a distant memory full of dirty feet, mud castles, pool water, neighbor kids, bikes, and skinned knees (when was the last time I skinned my knee, anyway?). but I can still vividly feel the chalk bouncing in my hand as I drag it along the pavement, watching upsidedown through my legs as a dusty pink line follows me. I can transport myself to the moment when the sun begins to sink & mom's voice drifts across the yard, calling me to wash my hands for dinner.
I spent one whole summer pretending I was named Joy. or Beth. or Amy. (it changed several times a day) I was always eighteen, because that was grown up. I generally had a husband toiling in distant fields and a baby sleeping peacefully in a weedy bower while I cheerfully stirred pieces of earth to make soup.
then there was the summer in between summers. you know, that one where I was sprouting into an awkward preteen, realizing that life was bigger than mud castles and imaginary friends. I was thinking about school, wondering who I was, imagining where the road led. I changed my handwriting every week in an effort to find the one that was "me."
and then there were the graduation-party-summers, which are a happy blur of friends and barefoot dancing and Coke cans dunked in coolers of ice water that freeze your hand when you reach in to grab them. I was growing up, and I knew it. but perhaps I thought I was more grownup than I was.
now along comes summer, 2011: that summer when the world ended (according to mr. harold camping). when I took a college class, and went to a friend's wedding. the one when I stayed up all night and started a blog. the one when my credit card was stolen, and I watched the sixth season of 24 with my brother&sister. the one when I went to ravinia and then talked into the wee hours with friends. the one with photoshoots, free water, expeditions unlimited. the one when I realized how much my church family has come to mean to me. when I realized that it won't all be like this forever.
you know. that summer.
I feel younger now than I used to. younger and less world-savvy than I expected to feel. and yet I feel so terribly old, like I'm standing on the edge of adulthood & looking back at "my childhood years." I didn't know what they were then: I just knew that school was boring and playing outside was fun. getting spanked was to be avoided and daniel was my arch-nemesis. important stuff like that.
I guess what I'm really feeling right now is confused. do I want to be a kid still? not exactly. but am I ready to say goodbye? no.
am I excited about being catapulted into the future? maybe.
am I also sad? yes. yes I am.
it's all so big and exciting. I feel like a kid walking around a carnival, wide-eyed at the blaze of lights and the smell of popcorn and the shouts of people on the roller coaster. yes, of course I want to grow up! look how much fun it's gonna be!
but growing up means letting go, and I don't like that part.
so. as fall blows in and sweeps us down the path a few more steps, I'm thanking the One who gave me all those summers. the One who's planning all the summers still to come.
and I'm trying to trust that they'll be just as good, so long as I remember why I've even been given summers at all.
always,
rory
I'm glad someone else feels this way too! (hmmm guess I'm not crazy) :)
ReplyDeleteLove the post!
"The story has begun.
ReplyDeleteAnd we will rake the leaves."
love.
Each year I grow up a little more
ReplyDeleteand each year gets better,
but I realize how little I know
and how sad I'll be when things must change.
It helps me to let go to say,
"Next year will be better!"
P.S.
I skinned my knee this summer =)so that was good.
Nice quote. ;)
ReplyDeleteI adore your paragraph on the graduation party era.
I am also excited about possibly being part of your future summers. <3
I like the idea of the carnival. (I seem to have come across it somewhere else, too. ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post. It's strange to look back on all the past years. It's strange to be this young, but to feel this old. I wonder what it will feel like to turn thirty... fifty... seventy...?
Oh, I also have a vivid memories of drawing chalk "roads" on the driveway, looking back through my legs at the chalk line. =)
KD, guilty as charged. n.d. wilson has permanently altered all the imagination & writing parts of my brain. haha.
ReplyDeletethanks for reading, everyone. =]
It's a good thing, rory.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing.